Amazing S. Korea with AC & KE (460+ pics) 1 of 2

Мнениеот Capt_Vio » 21 Ное 2009 00:43

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I’ve written a trip report here, so it’s time that I present you with the latest trip report. Last night I have just returned from a 10 day (business / pleasure) trip to South Korea, and after going over the 2500 photos that I’ve taken, I decided to share some of them with you. For those of you that have seen my previous reports, you’ll find that I will follow the same style. I love aviation, but a trip report without including photos from the destination tends to get a little boring. For those of you who don’t care too much to see them, just skip to where I have included the aviation related photos.

The trip started May 14th 2009 and ended May 24th 2009. During these 10 days, I have been to Seoul, Busan, the DMZ and a few other places in South Korea. Physically, I was also in North Korea, but not “politically”. I’ll explain later what I mean by that. The flight from Vancouver, Canada to Seoul was with Air Canada, followed by three other separate domestic flights with Korean Air. I even managed to ride the KTX, which is the Korean high speed train.

Vancouver – Seoul – Busan (with Air Canada and Korean Air)

Departure: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (YVR) on May 14th 2009 @ 12:20pm
Arrival: Seoul-Incheon, Republic of Korea (ICN) on May 15th 2009 @ 3:40pm
Airline: Air Canada
Flight #: AC63
Aircraft: Boeing 767-375/ER (reg. C-GLCA)
Seat: 17A

On Thursday May 14th 2009, I woke up a little later than normal, probably due to the fact that I was rather excited about the upcoming trip. My bags were mostly packed from the night before, but I still had to put a few things that I have left out. A few hours later, I was on my way to YVR. Normally, I would drive there myself, park the car and then off I go, but this time, I didn’t really feel like paying 150 dollars for parking, so I opted to have my mom drop me off. I arrived there around 10:30am, with plenty of time to spare before the scheduled departure at 12:20pm local.

After saying goodbye to my mother, I headed toward the check-in counter. I had one checked luggage, one carry-on and my camera bag with an Olympus and my Nikon D50. Checking in was really easy and shortly after I was through security and inside the international terminal. I have to say this is the nicest one at YVR, but still, nowhere close to where it should be, considering other world class cities. I think Vancouver really needs to improve its airport before the 2010 Olympics. Since I haven’t eaten anything that day, I went to a pub and had a nice breakfast and a pint of beer. I don’t usually have beer for breakfast, but this time, it went down pretty well.

Inside YVR’s terminal
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

After breakfast, I headed toward my gate and boarding followed shortly after. I was in seat 17A, which is a window seat, on the left side of the aircraft. I was really happy to see that the Boeing 767 had the upgraded interior, with the new seats and the personal entertainment unit. On such a long flight it really comes in handy. My seatmate was a Korean guy, from Calgary who was returning home after working in Canada for about a year. Shortly after everyone was onboard, we pushed back and taxied to runway 26L and departed out toward Vancouver Island. Over the next 11+ hours, we’d fly along the coast of British Columbia, Alaska, over Eastern Russia, between Japan and North Korea and eventually East into Seoul, of course, avoiding the North Korean airspace.

Some other planes parked at various gates
Изображение

The aircraft that would take me to Seoul
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Just before pushback
Изображение

Изображение

Taxiing to runway 26L
Изображение

Изображение

Company 767 taxiing by…
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Cargojet planes on the cargo ramp at YVR
Изображение

Изображение

Taxi to position:
Изображение

Take-off
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Shortly after take-off a drink service / snack came. Since I already had beer that morning, I might as well continue drinking it. I asked for a Heineken. One of the nice things about the new cabin interior is that it has the new “mood lighting”. Basically the lights change colors to give you different “environments”; very relaxing and easy on the eyes if I may say. The first meal service followed shortly after. I had some chicken and mashed potatoes and some veggies. After the meal, I turned my attention to the personal entertainment unit, which I must say, it’s the best I’ve seen so far, in economy class. It has lots of movies, tv shows, music, interactive map, etc. I watched a couple of movies and shows. First I watched “YES Man” with Jim Carrey, followed by “Taken” . I also watched a Discovery Channel show and listened to some music.

Heineken and some munchies.
Изображение

The lighting in the aircraft
Изображение

The first meal
Изображение

Interactive Map:
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Movie choices
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

I also bought some Duty Free, which ended up as a present to my buddy and his girlfriend
Изображение

On such a long flight, one must also get up and move around so your legs don’t go numb. Don’t ask why I took some photos of the bathroom, but I always find airplanes bathrooms to be a hit and miss. This one was fairly clean. No complaints
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Picture of the cabin
Изображение

Looking out the small window on the aircraft door
Изображение

Me, hanging out in the back
Изображение

Some more pictures en-route
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Some hours later, the second meal service came. This time, it was some beef and again, I had another beer. I really like airplane food, especially the one Air Canada has.
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

You can see how we continued over the sea, between Japan and the Korean peninsula, staying clear of the North Korean Airspace
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Not long after we passed over the coast of South Korea, we started our descend into Seoul-Incheon. We flew toward the East, going around the island, and coming back west for the landing. As you can see from the pics, it was really hazy outside.
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Seoul-Incheon Airport
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

After landing we taxied to one of the gates and I stayed behind to take a photo of the flight deck and thank the pilots / crew for the safe and enjoyable flight.

The flight-deck of the Boeing 767
Изображение

Изображение

Once inside the terminal, we were greeted by medical personnel who took our temperature to see if any of us had the “Swine Flu”. After that, we went through customs and I proceeded to collect my luggage. By the time I arrived there, I was the last one to pick up the bag. I walked outside the arrival area and took my first breath of fresh “South Korean air”. I snapped some shots then headed back in the terminal to check in for my flight to Busan, with Korean Air. The reason I had to re-check, is that I booked the two tickets separately. This time I had business class seats, on a KA Boeing 737, that would depart at 8:40pm. I also had some food to eat at a restaurant and waited to get to my destination to meet my friends.

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

This flight would be my first on Korean Air. It was short and nice. I sat on the first row / window seat, on the right side of the aircraft. Most of the flight I had a chat with an American engineering flying to Busan on a business trip. I didn’t take any pictures because it was dark and they don’t really come out nice.

An impressive Boeing 747-400
Изображение

The Korean Air Boeing 737 that would take me to Busan
Изображение

Once I arrived in Busan, my friend Tom picked me up at the airport and we took the “Airport Limousine” bus to Paradise Hotel, then a quick taxi ride to his apartment building. Tom and his girlfriend have been there for over two years. He’s a journalist and she is a teacher at a local foreign school. From Friday May 15th to Tuesday May 19th I would be in Busan, where I spent time with my friends, visited the city and just hung around, relaxing. Here are some photos from Busan. I hope you enjoy them.

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Tom and I. I’m 1.75m (about 5’9”) and I still seem short compared to my buddy.
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Notice the “poop”? WTF?
Изображение

My friend Katerina (Tom’s girlfriend)
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Haeundae Beach, Busan
Изображение

Изображение

Okay, what is this? All I know is that you eat it.
Изображение

Tom and Sean (the Korean friend)
Изображение

Me after a couple… of beers
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

On top of one of the mountains, in Busan. Incredible views
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Busan Gimhae – Seoul Gimpo

Departure: Busan-Gimhae, on May 19th 2009 @ 8:40am
Arrival: Seoul-Gimpo, May 19th 2009 @ 9:35am
Airline: Korean Air
Flight #: KE1104
Aircraft: Airbus A300B4-622R (Reg. HL7245)
Seat: 10A

On Tuesday and Wednesday I had some business to attend in Seoul, so I flew there on Korean Air. Originally I bought economy class tickets, but for only 25,000 Won (about 23 dollars), I was able to upgrade to business. I said, why not? I have never been on an A300 before, so I might as well. I woke up that morning and took at taxi to Paradise Hotel, then boarded the “Airport Limousine” bus, for the ride to Busan-Gimhae Airport. The ride was nice and I was able to take some photos of the city. Once at the airport, I checked in for my flight, paid for the upgrade and went to the Korean Air Lounge, which I must say, is not that impressive. I guess they don’t put a lot of effort into them, especially for domestic flights. Then again, for 25 dollars “extra” who cares, right? I had a few beverages, a snack, then proceeded to our boarding gate. Since Gimhae Airport, is also a military base, photography is not allowed inside the terminal. Once in the airplane, I was able to take a few shots, but I tried to keep it “away” from military areas. While I waited for the flight, I chatted with a British Captain that was on contract with Korean Air, flying the Boeing 737NG. He was also new to Korea, so I just talked to him about life there and what it’s like to work for them. He seemed happy so far, but missed his family back home in UK.

In front of Paradise Hotel:

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Inside the bus. I was a little tired from not having enough sleep the night before
Изображение

Busan
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Approaching the airport:

Is this the control tower?
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

The airport bus:
Изображение

Busan Airport
Изображение

Изображение

Korean Air Lounge
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

After boarding the A300, we had a Jeju Air Boeing 737 beside us
Изображение

Terminal Building at Gimhae
Изображение

Take-off from Busan
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Beautiful scenery as we climb out of Gimhae
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

I didn’t have anyone beside me, so I just sat back, took photos and relaxed for the short ride to Seoul Gimpo
Изображение

Изображение

Not much of a “meal”, but then again, the flight was about an hour long
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Descending into Seoul-Gimpo
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

A Korean Air Boeing 747-400
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

After we pulled up at the gate
Изображение

The nose of the A300
Изображение

After getting out of the aircraft, I took a few photos of this great aircraft and of course, a few other birds that were around
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

A company 737 pulling up to a gate
Изображение

Изображение

Police Helicopter. Is this a Mil? I didn’t know the South Korean Police uses Russian helicopters
Изображение

After disembarking the aircraft, I head directly toward the subway station, since I had no checked baggage. The subway system in Seoul is by far the best one I’ve seen. It’s fast, convenient and to the point. Every marking and announcement is not only in Korean, but also in English. I headed directly downtown (City Hall Station), where I had some business to attend till around 5:00pm. After that, I headed toward my hotel, which was a few stations away. I really liked this one. It was one of the better hotels I’ve stayed at. From what I understand it’s fairly new and everything was high-tech, including from a master controlled lighting / television station, to a high tech toilet that washed your bum (sorry I didn’t try it), to some cool emergency tools, should there be a fire, such as mask and even a rappel device should you need to exit the building via window. Hey, it beats burning or jumping to your death.

The hotel
Изображение

High-tech toilet (can’t say I’ve seen one of these before…)
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
Изображение
5186292.jpg[/IMG]

View from my hotel room on the 8th floor.
Изображение

In the evening I’ve meet up with my parents’ friends from Canada, who have been living in Seoul for the past 3 years. They showed me around town, including the “little river” that many people go to in Seoul. I don’t remember the name, but maybe some of you can tell me.

The international school which their son attends. Very nice school
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Some more pictures of the city
Изображение

In the center, you can see “The Blue House”, which is the presidential residence, if I remember correctly
Изображение

Изображение

Model of a traditional Korean home. The “buckets” on the right were used to make Chimchi (so they say)
Изображение

Really cool octopus. Poor thing would most likely become dinner
Изображение

Seoul at night
Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

Изображение

… TO BE CONTINUED…

Part 2 of 2 of this report will cover my trip to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), the flight back to Busan, some more photos from there, my KTX train ride from Busan to Seoul, a few more pictures from Seoul and the flight back to Vancouver, BC. Hope you’ll come back to read it.

Any comments are greatly appreciated
Аватар
Capt_Vio
спотър

Re: Amazing S. Korea with AC & KE (460+ pics) 1 of 2

Мнениеот Делян » 21 Ное 2009 03:25

Very big blog.
I didn't know that South Korean police uses Mil's. :D
Аватар
Делян
супер спотър

Местоположение: KBDR, Igor I Sikorsky Memorial Airport, Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA

Мнениеот Nine » 21 Ное 2009 09:11

Wonderful!
Изображение
Аватар
Nine
супер спотър

Мнениеот ATC man » 21 Ное 2009 10:51

Everything is so cool man :supz:
Изображение
Аватар
ATC man
най-спотър

Мнениеот amcho » 21 Ное 2009 13:01

Absolutely stunning! 8) Air Canada seems quite different from the US carries...you can feel some "posh attitude" inside :)
Very well done! Thumbs up :)
There's always a reason to fly...

Изображение
Аватар
amcho
супер спотър

Мнениеот 747KLM » 21 Ное 2009 19:49

All pictures of this blog is very nice..! :) But I have some questions.. Where are you frome? :-D
Аватар
747KLM
спотър

Мнениеот Capt_Vio » 21 Ное 2009 23:11

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Делян написа:Very big blog.
I didn't know that South Korean police uses Mil's. :D

Same here. I was also quite surprised to find "Soviet Era" helicopters flying for South Korea. Not that they can't their job. Obviously, they are great machines, but South Korea, being so influenced by the USA, I would imagine that they'd buy US made machines.

amcho написа:Absolutely stunning! Air Canada seems quite different from the US carries...you can feel some "posh attitude" inside
Very well done! Thumbs up
Absolutely stunning! 8) Air Canada seems quite different from the US carries...you can feel some "posh attitude" inside :)
Very well done! Thumbs up :)

Air Canada's long haul is quite good. It has to though, because it competes with some Asian carriers that have quite the reputation. The 767s are refurbished, with the new cabin and the nice entertainment system. I flew Air Canada with their new Boeing 777LR and they look amazing. What an airplane that is.

747KLM написа:All pictures of this blog is very nice..! But I have some questions.. Where are you frome?
All pictures of this blog is very nice..! :) But I have some questions.. Where are you frome? :-D

Hi 747KLM,
I'm from Vancouver, Canada, however, I was born in Romania. My family and I moved to Canada almost 17 years ago. I have learned of this forum from one of your coleagues, who is part of the Romanian Spotters website. I'm a memeber of that website and I enjoy Eastern Europe aviation, hence the reason I signed up for this website.
Аватар
Capt_Vio
спотър

Мнениеот Jair » 22 Ное 2009 02:18

post more often, that's all i will say :)
http://www.aerohroniki.com - Блог за авиация и пътешествия
http://www.magelanci.com - форум за пътешествия
Jair
супер спотър

Мнениеот randi » 23 Ное 2009 17:55

Very nice trip report Capt_Vio!Thanks for sharing :wink:
SWITCH OFF or FUCK OFF
SaVe TheIr pLaNeT
CuT yOuR eMiSsIoN

Изображение
JetPhotos